PNG Church Partnership
Let's Bring Change through Revival
The Melanesian Evangelical Churches of Christ (MECOC) consists of more than 100 national pastors sharing the task of evangelism and church building. In early 2015, these pastors saw a revival in the Keram/Grass area of PNG as the Holy Spirit empowered young people to evangelise powerfully, prophesy, see visions and heal the sick. Yabru Jerry, Executive Director of MECOC, asks that we 'pray for lasting fruit of this revival movement'.
GMP is committed to encouraging the leaders of the Melanesian Evangelical Churches of Christ MECOC to think and plan for the long term, working with them on strategies to grow their own capacities in leadership and to allocate resources strategically. Many of these churches are located in the most remote settings of PNG and are difficult to access. Travel is by canoe or foot; communication is by radio.
GMP supports projects helping people to read the Bible in their own language, training church treasurers, women’s ministry training and training leaders for children’s ministry through Gandep Bible Training Centre and the Yamen Bible School.
it's encouraging to hear the stories of new churches being developed and people being baptised
The history of Churches of Christ in PNG can be traced to pioneer efforts following the Second World War. A number of returned veterans were asking, “Why not begin a new mission field in Papua or New Guinea?” An exploratory survey in 1957 led to the selection of a suitable area along the lower Ramu River. Frank Beale and Harold Finger, established a mission station at Tung in the East Sepik region in the late 1950s. Today there are over 6,000 Christians and 200 churches divided into seven regions scattered along the Ramu, Keram, Sepik, Sogeram and Ywat Rivers in the Schrader Ranges and the land between. All are located in subsistence village settings. More than 100 national pastors share the task of evangelism and church building.
Back to Map